Are you entitled to a rates rebate?

(Posted on: August 15)

Back in 1973, the Rates Rebate Scheme was established to provide a subsidy to low-income homeowners on the cost of their rates.

Applications for the 2017/18 rating year and now open.

How to apply

You will need to apply to the Manawatu District Council by  filling out a Rates Rebate Application Form and getting it signed by an authorised witness. You can come into our MDC offices for a paper form or download a form online at  

Who can apply

If you have a low income and pay the rates on your home, you could get a rebate or reduction of up to $620. Rates rebates are administered by MDC and paid for by central government.

To apply, you MUST be:

  • the person who pays the rates on the property that's your home
  • living in your home on 1 July 2017
  • listed as the ratepayer in the council's Rating Information Database (RID) — this has all the information about rates and ratepayers for every property in your council's area.

You can't apply if:

  • you're not the legal rate payer
  • your property is mainly used for commercial activities, for example farming or business
  • your property is a rental property or holiday home.

If you moved during the year, give us a call to find out if you can still get a rates rebate.