Are you entitled to a rates rebate?
(Posted on: August 15)
Back in 1973, the Rates Rebate Scheme was established to provide a subsidy to low-income homeowners on the cost of their rates.
Applications for the 2017/18 rating year and now open.
How to apply
You will need to apply to the Manawatu District Council by filling out a Rates Rebate Application Form and getting it signed by an authorised witness. You can come into our MDC offices for a paper form or download a form online at www.dia.govt.nz/ratesrebates
Who can apply
If you have a low income and pay the rates on your home, you could get a rebate or reduction of up to $620. Rates rebates are administered by MDC and paid for by central government.
To apply, you MUST be:
- the person who pays the rates on the property that's your home
- living in your home on 1 July 2017
- listed as the ratepayer in the council's Rating Information Database (RID) — this has all the information about rates and ratepayers for every property in your council's area.
You can't apply if:
- you're not the legal rate payer
- your property is mainly used for commercial activities, for example farming or business
- your property is a rental property or holiday home.
If you moved during the year, give us a call to find out if you can still get a rates rebate.