Mt Stewart Centennial Memorial Reserve
The memorial was built in 1940 for the early European settlers and rededicated in the 1990 bicentennial by the Governor General. It is listed in the District as having heritage value with a C category. A time capsule was buried and a plinth with a 360º directional sign was erected for the 1990 Sesqui celebrations. An interpretation room is within the memorial but vandalism has forced it to be closed. The top of the memorial provides a good lookout and the reserve is part of the Ngaio Heritage Trail.
The Trig Society Geodetic Survey mark was named after John Tiffin Stewart (1827 - 1913) who was a pioneer surveyor and engineer. There is a plaque dedicated to him on the rock by the Trig Station.
This memorial is on the corner of Mt Stewart Halcombe Road and State Highway 3.
View Larger Map