The word "Manfeild" first became known when the words Manawatu and Feilding were combined and a world-class motor-racing circuit was developed. It is now recognised as a unique facility capable of catering for a wide range of events.
Originally, the adjoining 35ha property was owned by the Feilding Jockey Club and consisted of the racecourse, three large grandstands, three stable areas and two houses
Horse racing has been part of Feilding's history from its very earliest days.
In 1871 Sir William Feilding arrived in New Zealand and together with Mr Arthur Halcombe, purchased 106,000 acres of land for just 15 shillings an acre. They established the Manchester Block, as it was then known, with Mr Frank Lethbridge becoming one of the more substantial land owners. Frank Lethbridge carved a racecourse out of the fertile land, which became known as Lethbridge's Run.
In 1890 the Feilding Jockey Club shifted from Lethbridge's Run to set up a new racecourse, where the Club raced for just over 100 years until 1999 when the decision was made to sell the racecourse to the Manawatu District Council and transfer the Club's racing operations to Awapuni.
Under Council guidance this facility became known as Manfeild Park and it continued to be developed as a multi-use event centre.
Further changes saw the forming of the Manfield Park Trust who then took over the management and responsibility of this property combining it with the long established motor-racing facilities. The biggest contributor to on-going improvement of the Park has been the building of the 7500sq metre Stadium that was opened on 28 October 2007. Covering an area of 45,000 sq metres this single-span building is the largest facility of its kind in the lower North Island.
Together with the indoor and outdoor areas available, Manfeild() hosts a number of events including the Central Districts Field Days, Manawatu and Feilding A & P Shows, N Z Dairy Event, NZ Beef Expo, Garden Festival and various national and local Equestrian and Motor Racing Events.
The main entrance into Manfield is from South Street. However, there are two other entrances - on the eastern side, Kawakawa Road and on the western side, Rata Street.
View Larger Map