Building Consents

If you're planning any construction demolition or alteration work, you will need to obtain a Building Consent before the work begins.

A Building Consent is a document issued by the Council which verifies that your proposed work complies with the requirements of the New Zealand Building Code 1992 (Link to external website) and the  Building Act 2004 (www_Globe.jpg).

A Building Consent is not an automatic right for you to start building. There are other issues such as town planning requirements that may impact on your ability to commence work. For instance, you may also need to apply for a Resource Consent.

Applying for a Property Information Memorandum (PIM)

A PIM is a report issued by Council that provides you with relevant information on your proposed building project. It can include:

  • location of services
  • likelihood of flooding
  • subsidence
  • soft ground etc.

Council will also inform you of any other requirements you will need to consider, e.g., resource consents, development contribution levies payable, vehicle crossings, or other issues that may affect the design and/or construction of your proposed structure.

You need to apply for a PIM on the PIM/BC application form which is available below or from the Customer Service Centre. You need to complete the form in full before you submit it.

Why should I apply for a PIM?

A PIM remains a very useful tool for people considering certain building work that requires a building consent. Information in a PIM, obtained early as part of the design process, can help designers, developers and applicants to avoid costly additional design work later and delays in the consent process. Examples of building projects that may benefit from an early PIM application include:

  • New dwelling
  • Significant additions to a dwelling, increasing footprint or adding a storey
  • New commercial building
  • Significant additions/alterations to a commercial building
  • External or internal additions/alterations to a historic building
  • Building projects of a large scale that are carried out in stages.
  • Building over two or more allotments
  • Building across network utility operator's assets or public stormwater or sewer systems.
  • Buildings on land subject to natural hazards.

Applying for a Building Consent

On-Line Portal

Our new building consent GoShift Portal allows you to submit, manage and track your applications.  You will require an email address to sign up and manage your account.

The Council Building Control and Adminstration team can assist customers to lodge their consents electronically from 9am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday.

The Building Act 2004 allows up to 20 working days to process an application and the “clock” starts when the application is ‘lodged’ by the building officer once the application has been vetted for completeness and when payment has been accepted.  You can track your consent has been lodged on the status bar in the portal. 

Note:   All building consent applications submitted on or before 31 July 2017, and any amendments relating to these consents, will continue to be processed manually until the Code Compliance Certificate has been issued.

Hard Copy

For customers who do not have the ability to lodge consents electronically, we can still accept building consents in hard copy format but this will incur an additional processing fee to cover our costs for vetting, scanning and loading the information electronically for you.

You need to apply for a Building Consent on the Building Consent Application form (check the guide).

You must complete it in full before submitting it along with the appropriate fees and charges. You also need to submit a completed National Environment Standard Assessment Form (NES) with your Building Consent Application.

You need to supply one copy of all plans and documents. It may be helpful to use the PIM/Building Consent Application Checklist (T-04a) to ensure your application is complete.


Common Questions/Queries Relating to Building Consents

Information guide to the National Environmental Standard (NES) for assessing and managing contaminants in soil to protect human health

A National Environmental Standard (NES) is a regulation that applies nationally.  This means that each Local Authority must enforce the same standard.  The regulations and requirements of the NES override the rules of a District Plan.

The NES for assessing and managing contaminants in soil to protect human health came into effect on 1 January 2012.

Activities covered by the NES include:


Removing or replacing a fuel storage tank


Sampling soil


Disturbing soil


Subdividing land


Changing the land use

Land subject to the NES is described as an activity or industry that is being undertaken, has been undertaken or is more likely to have been undertaken on the site, described in the Hazardous Activities and Industries List (HAIL).

This means that if you are involved in any of the above activities on land subject to the NES through a building consent application or a subdivision application then you will be subject to the regulations of the NES.

You are advised to contact the Council for further information on whether you will be required to obtain a resource consent and/or preliminary/detailed site investigations.

You can also go to the Ministry for the Environment website  which contains a user guide for the NES and the latest HAIL list.

The Wasteminz website contains factsheets that have been developed to help property owners understand their responsibilities under the National Environment Standard for Assessing and Managing Contaminants in Soil to Protect Human Health regulations. These can be viewed on Contaminated Land Factsheets.


Information guides

Guide to Building and Building Consents (600kB Adobe.jpg)

Plan Requirements for Residential Building Consents Guide (240kB Adobe.jpg)

Building Consent Requirements for Tents and Marquees (32 kB Adobe.jpg )

Feilding Liquefaction Study (3MB) PDF File

Natural Hazards guidance (832kb) PDF File


Hardcopy application forms

Code Compliance Certificate Application Form (964Kb Adobe.jpg)  Guide (291Kb Adobe.jpg)

Code Compliance time extension application (263Kb Adobe.jpg)   Guide (183Kb Adobe.jpg)

Memorandum from Licensed Building Practitioner: Record of building work  (402Kb Adobe.jpg)  Guide (281Kb Adobe.jpg)

Certificate for Public Use  (362Kb Adobe.jpg)  Guide (1326Kb Adobe.jpg)

Memorandum from Licensed Building Practitioner: Certificate of Design Work  (420Kb Adobe.jpg)  Guide (296Kb Adobe.jpg)

Notice of Owner Builder  (307Kb Adobe.jpg)  Guide (219Kb Adobe.jpg)

Statutory Declaration of Owner / Builder (436Kb Adobe.jpg)  Guide (527Kb Adobe.jpg)

Trade LBP Notification Form (216kB Adobe.jpg)

Application for Exemption of Building Work (27kB Adobe.jpg)

Application for Certificate of Acceptance (348kB Adobe.jpg)

Corridor Access Request Forms (Vehicle Crossings) 

PIM and Building Consent Application Checklist BCA T-04a (339 kB Adobe.jpg)


Inbuilt and free standing fireplace applications

Application to Install Solid Fuel Heating appliance  (207kB Adobe.jpg)

Ministry for the Environment Approved Wood Burners www_Globe.jpg


Further information

For further information or advice, please contact the Building Services Team on 06 323 0000 or at the Manawatu District Council.