Registering a new premise

How to register a food premises

Depending on the scope of your food business, you will need to register to operate under either a Food Control Plan (FCP) or a National Programme (NP).

To find out which plan suits your business see the Ministry for Primary Industries' (MPI) website Where do I fit tool.

The two food control plans are:

  • template food control plan (template FCPs) - you build your plan from templates supplied by MPI and register with Manawatu District Council.
  • custom food control plans (custom FCPs) - you develop your own plan and register with MPI.

There are three levels of National Programmes, which are based on food safety risk of a business:

  • level 3 for higher risk (NP L3).
  • level 2 for medium risk (NP L2).
  • level 1 for lower risk (NP L1).

National programmes must be registered with Manawatu District Council. For more information see MPI.

How to apply

Before you register your food premises please check if you need the following:

1. Fill out the application forms

   You can also get copies from our Office at 135 Manchester Street, Feilding.

   We do not accept incomplete applications. Make sure your application forms are filled out completely.

2. Get all the information together

   Make sure you include all documents we need with your application.

3. Determine your Fee

   You need to pay a non-refundable fee with your application.

You can pay by:

  • cheque if you're posting us your application
  • cash, cheque, eftpos, or credit card (MasterCard or Visa) if you're dropping off your application at our office at 135 Manchester Street, Feilding

4. Submit your application

Environmental Health Officer
Manawatu District Council
Private Bag 10001
Feilding 4743

Food premises inspections or verifications

 Food Control Plan

Verification will be carried out by an Environmental Health Officer (EHO) within one month of registration if you are:

  • a new food business
  • a food business that was exempted from registration under Food Hygiene Regulations 1974
  • an existing food business with a change of ownership and registered under FCP.

Verification will be carried out by an EHO within 12 months of registration if you are an existing business which is now transitioning from operating under the Food Hygiene regulations 1974 to FCP.

National programmes

At present, the council is not approved to complete verifications of National Programmes. The food business must nominate a third party verifier to complete verification. 

This must be included on the application for registration.  For more information see MPI.

For food premises under National programmes, the verification will be carried out within one month of registration if you are:

  • a new food business
  • an existing food business with a change of ownership and falls under NP.

Verification will be carried out within six months of registration for NP L3 and one year of registration for NP L2 and L1 if you are an existing business which is now transitioning from operating under the Food Hygiene regulations 1974 to NP.

Taking over an existing food premises

You should contact us and speak to an Environmental Health Officer before you purchase an existing food business that is registered under:

  • Food Hygiene Regulations 1974
  • Template Food Control Plan or
  • National Programme.

Food Control Plans, National Programmes and registration certificates under Food Hygiene Regulations 1974 cannot be transferred.  When a new owner takes over an existing food business they will need to apply for a new FCP or NP depending on the scope of their business.

If you are planning to make structural changes to an existing food premises then you need to contact us to speak to a Building Inspector.

Renewing your registration

We will send you a renewal application form before your food premises registration expires.

When you receive it, you must promptly check the details, complete the form and return it to Manawatu District Council. 

Your renewal letter will advise on how you can pay for your registration renewal. 


Fees and refunds

New fees came into effect on 1 March 2016 and will only apply to premises that register under the new Food Act 2014.

Existing premises that have not transitioned including premises that have registered under FCP prior to 1 March 2016 will continue to pay the existing fees. 

For registration and verification fees for new food premises and also for premises that have transitioned to Food Act 2014 see Food registration and licence fees.

We do not refund surrendered registrations, for example if a business closes down.

Food Training Providers

Training Provider


Assure Quality NZ


Hospitality Training Professionals

06 3638299                                               021529669                                                              Email:

Innovative Educators

0800-929-8646                                                 Email:

Open Polytechnic of NZ


Summit Systems Limited

03 3350404