Abandoned vehicles cannot remain in public places or on the roadside for reasons of health, safety and general untidiness.
The police deal with abandoned vehicles that may endanger road users . All other abandoned vehicles are the responsibility of Council or Transit NZ.
To report an abandoned vehicle, please contact Council during business hours with the following information.
- The precise location of the vehicle, e.g. 500m from intersection.
- The vehicle registration number, make, model and colour.
- The period of time that the vehicle car has been there.
- The name of the vehicle's owner, if possible.
- Any other information, such as whether wheels are missing or if the vehicle is burnt out.
If the vehicle is close to your house, it would pay to ask your neighbours if they know anything about it.