Property Files

For LIM information click here.

Property files

Viewing a Property File:

Physical property files can be viewed during our opening hours between 8am and 5pm, Monday-Friday (Except for Wednesday mornings as we open at 9am).

Property files can also be scanned and emailed via a link for a cost of $37.00 per residential property. Extra costs may apply to commercial properties. This request includes records specific to that property and may include building consents, historic permits, resource consents, compliance schedules, health and liquor licences and correspondence.

PLEASE NOTE: A property request provides limited information about a property.  More complete information about a property can be obtained in a Land Information Memorandum.  The Manawatu District Council recommends a LIM is obtained when purchasing property.

How does it work?

Fill out the form below giving us as many details about your request as possible. From here we will confirm the request via email and send you details for internet banking transfers. It also gives us a chance to let you know if you will incur any extra costs due to the size of the file or, where there is limited information available or you would only like a select piece of information (e.g. a code of compliance certificate), there may be no cost involved at all.

We endeavour to send all links within three working days of receiving payment. For bank transfers this usually happens overnight. Please expect processing to take slightly longer for larger requests – we will give you a timeframe upon receiving your request.

We prefer to send links as we are striving to be an efficient, modern council but if you choose we can copy the information onto a disc.

Request an electronic property file

LIM Information

A land information memorandum (LIM) is a legally-binding document that states everything we know about the history of a property, and any issues that may affect the property. Purchasers who want to make an offer on a property can enter into a purchase contract subject to a LIM report.

The following people may require a LIM:

  • Property Buyers and Sellers
  • Real Estate Agents
  • Valuers
  • Solicitors
  • Lenders and Insurers

Why get a LIM

A LIM enables you to check that all of the buildings and structures on a property are approved, such as decks, conservatories, spa pools and fire places.

Many buyers have ideas of how they would like to develop a property, and a LIM will help you identify potential development restrictions before you buy. You may find it useful to know if your intended use of the land is feasible.

It's important to be aware of any potential hazards on your new property, e.g. a LIM may show areas prone to ponding or flooding in heavy rain.

If you own a property with unauthorised building work, your insurance may be invalid and it could be expensive for you to rectify the unauthorised work.

What Information is in a LIM?

The information contained within a LIM must comply with the requirements of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987, which includes:

  • Any special features or natural hazards of the land, including potential erosion, subsidence, slippage, flooding, or the likely presence of hazardous substances.
  • Information on stormwater and sewer services and the availability of water services, and any information we hold about these.
  • The property's government valuation and a summary of the rates account.
  • Any consents, certificates, notices, orders or requisitions affecting the land or buildings.
  • District Plan information including zoning and designations and any protected features of the land under the District Plan such as heritage items or trees.
  • Any other classifications of land and buildings that we have been notified about.
  • Any other information considered to be helpful.
  • Should the property you are seeking information on be marked ‘Confidential’ then limited information will be able to be released.

What to do with your LIM

Examine the LIM closely with your lawyer and check that the information in the LIM is the same as the physical detail of the property. Conveyance lawyers know what to look for in a LIM.

Some of the basic things to look for:

  • Check that any constructions or alterations have a building consent. Where building consents have been issued, check that a code compliance certificate has also been issued.
  • If any resource consents have been issued for the property, check that consent conditions are being met.
  • Check that the waste disposal system is as stated on the LIM - if the LIM tells you the property is connected to council reticulation but you've seen a septic tank vent, confirm the situation with us.
  • Consider your future development ideas for the property. Items valued by the community - such as protected trees, archaeological sites and heritage buildings - as well as pipes and drains may be issues you'll need to work around.

Buying a property with unconsented or unrecorded building work

Subsequent owners may have some redress, but generally you inherit the liabilities of any illegal building work. It is prudent to be satisfied prior to the sale that the work will not create an ongoing problem to you.

One option for assessing the standard of unconsented or unrecorded work is to obtain a report by an appropriately qualified professional such as an independent building surveyor or registered structural engineer.

How to get a LIM

Applications must be made on the officialLIM application form, and completed in full, in order to correctly identify the property concerned.

Applications may be made by email ( ), or you can drop in your application form to 135 Manchester Street, Feilding with its payment. Applications take up to 10 working days from the receipt of payment.

The fees for a LIM report for 2017/18 are: Residential $303    Commercial $341

A full list of our fees and charges is available here.