MDC Youth Council
What we do as a Youth Council
Formerly working under the title of Youth Ambassadors, the young people of our district have been able to achieve a lot - some of these initiatives are listed below.
• Manawatū Young Achievers Awards - acknowledging the effort and success demonstrated by our youth
• Feilding Colour Run - a free event aiming to encourage physical activity in our community
• Designing the new Feilding Skate Park - to open later this year
• Designing and assisting with the building of the Feilding pump track
• Submissions to the council on the Annual Plan as appropriate
• Little Christmas
• Other community events that benefit from youth involvement/organisation.
We are really wanting to give back more to our youth. In moving to a smaller and more focussed Youth Council we hope to be able to give back some really helpful leadership skills and opportunities.
Apply to be a Youth Councillor
Be the voice of your community as we look at topics facing both local and central government!
If you are between 13 and 24 years of age apply to be a Youth Councillor by answering the below questions. This will enable us to make an informed decision around who would be most suitable around our Youth Council table for 2021 and beyond. Diversity is really important to us as we work towards modern expectations and we are hoping for a range of applications.
Please be aware that this is a commitment and we will be meeting twice a month from March - December. Meetings will take place on the first Monday of each month at the council chambers at 5:30pm and a fortnight after that via zoom at 7pm. A minimum level of participation will be discussed by the successful Council and adopted into a terms of reference once the Council has been elected. We will also expect involvement with the community initiatives mentioned above and additional events that may arise.
Once elected, members will have the right to remain on the Council for a term of two (2) years, however should members head out of the district, for university or another commitment, then a one year term is acceptable.
Please complete the required information below. Applications close 1 November 2020. If you have any questions please contact Councillor Heather Gee-Taylor.