Walking and Cycling Strategy 2020
It's the last chance to have your say on Council's Walking and Cycling Strategy! We've listened to your feedback in developing this Strategy, so please let us know if you think we’ve missed something or would like something included.
What is this strategy all about?
The Walking and Cycling Strategy provides a framework on increasing participation in walking and cycling within the Manawatu District. The previous Walking and Cycling Strategy was developed in 2007. Walking and Cycling provides social, environmental, economic and health benefits that are well understood and there is continuing growth in investment and support for developing walking and cycling opportunities.
Walking and Cycling Strategy (12MB pdf)
Walking and Cycling Strategy Appendix (5MB pdf)
The strategy recognises the need to improve accessibility, connectivity and safety for those walking and cycling within the district.
Through the development of the strategy, the outcomes sought are:
- Encourage and support our communities to walk and cycle more for work, wellbeing and recreation
- Develop and grow a range of unique and diverse walking and cycling facilities and services to meet the changing needs of residents and visitors
- Improve safety and accessibility for cyclists and pedestrians of all ages and abilities within the community
- Increase awareness and improve connectivity of the district’s recreational walking and cycling infrastructure
- Work collaboratively with key partners in delivering this strategy, including authorities, community organisations and the private sector.
Consultation closed at 5:00pm on 23rd March 2020. Council plans to hold a hearing on 7th May 2020, with a reserve date of 14th May 2020 set aside depending on the number of submitters who wish to speak to Council.
Those who indicate they wish to speak to their submission will be allocated a speaking time via email following the close of submissions.
Council will deliberate on submissions on 21st May 2020, with the final versions of the Walking and Cycling Strategy scheduled for adoption by Council on 2nd July 2020.
Make a Submission
Submissions closed on 23rd March 2020.
Photo credit to ManawatuNZ