Check us out on Neighbourly
Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook
Send us an email

FAQ's - Alert Level 2

New Zealand is currently at Alert Level 3. We move to Alert Level 2 at 11:59pm on Wednesday 13 May.

More detailed information about Alert Level 2 can be found on the dedicated Covid-19 Government website here. At Alert Level 2, we no longer need to keep exclusively to our bubbles, and people who were being advised to stay at home during Alert Levels 4 and 3 are now encouraged to leave their homes, if they wish. Just remember to keep a god physical distance from others - it is recommended to keep 2 meters from people you do not know, and at least 1 meter from others.


General COVID-19 Questions

What is COVID-19 (novel coronavirus)?

COVID-19 is a new virus that can affect your lungs and airways. It’s caused by a type of coronavirus. There are simple steps you can take to protect you, your family and whānau.

Learn more about COVID-19 on


How can I get tested?

If you are concerned about any symptoms you are experiencing, please call your GP, or Healthline (for free) on 0800 358 5453 (or +64 9 358 5453 for international SIMs).


Where can I find out more about NZ is doing to combat COVID-19?

There are two key sites you should use for information that is accurate, up to date and reliable and Ministry of Health



Which businesses can open at alert level 2?

All business premises can open and customers can enter, including cafes, restaurants, bars, and hairdressers so long as it is safe to do so. Businesses must operate safely by ensuring public health measures for workplaces are in place e.g., contact tracing, physical distancing, regular cleaning and gathering limitations are met. 


Do I need to take the details of everyone I come in contact with for work purposes so contact tracing can be conducted in needed?

Yes, all businesses must use a contact tracing register so that people can be easily contacted if required. A template can be found here.  


Is there special information for the construction industry?

The construction industry has developed a framework to keep workers, their whānau and the wider community healthy and safe. The framework allows businesses to develop a plan specific to their project, site and business risks. Visit Site Safe and CHASNZ for more information. 


I am opening a workplace that has been closed throughout alert levels 4 and 3. Is their any guidance on water quality?

We strongly recommend any workplace that has been closed throughout the lockdown, to flush their water pipes before using the water. Water left sitting in pipes may not meet the drinking water standards. Flush all your taps for at least one minute to remove stagnant water. More information from the Ministry of Health can be found in these two documents: Covid-19 Drinking Water Advice (185KB pdf) and Flushing building water systems post Covid-19 (337KB pdf).


Council Facilities

Am I able to come into the main council office?

Council's office in Feilding will reopen to the public from Thursday 14 May, but with certain restrictions.

  • The number of people allowed into reception will be limited. Please wait outside if you are asked to do so, and follow any directions you are given.
  • Please maintain at least 1 meter between yourself and anyone else.
  • Anyone entering the building will need to sign-in on the tablet located at the entry. Please use the wet wipes provided to wipe the tablet before use, and dispose of these in the bin provided. This information will be kept for contact tracing purposes only.
  • If you are sick or have cold or flu-like symptoms, please do not come into the office.
  • Please utilise online payments where possible. No cash will be accepted - Eftpos and cheques only.
  • Property files will not be available for viewing. Please call us on 06 323 0000 to arrange an electronic copy.
  • Staff are available by appointment only. This is to ensure we can allocate meeting rooms and maintain the minimum 1 meter physical distance. Please phone us to make an appointment.
  • There will be no Justice of the Peace available.


Are the Makino Aquatic Centre and Feilding Library open at alert level 2?

Both the Makino and the Library will reopen from Monday 18 May, with strict limits on the number of people inside. You can check out the guidance for these facilities here.

Makino: Access to the Makino is for structured swimming and programmes only and must be booked in advance. If you wish to use the Makino to lane swim or attend an Aqua class, please call 06 323 5312 (option 0) to book a space or email For Swim School enquiries, please call 06 323 5312 (option 2) or email  

Library: Programme numbers are limited, and you must book ahead of time. All returns must go through the after hours return slots and we ask that you don't stay at the Library to read - please take your items to enjoy at home. Where possible, please use kiosks or your cell phone to check out items and computers will be available only for essential use and limited to 30 minutes.


Can we use Council playgrounds?

Yes, all Council playgrounds have had a deep clean and are available for use. We encourage maintaining physical distancing.


Which public toilets are open?

All public toilets are open under alert level 2.



Can children go back to school and early learning facilities?

It is safe to send your children back to school and early learning facilities, and these will be open at alert level 2. More information can be found on the Ministry of Education website.  


Rubbish and Recycling

Are all recyclables being recycled at alert level 2?

Yes, we are happy to say we can process all recycling under alert level 2, as we would do under normal circumstances. Recycling will start from Monday 18 May.


Are rural recycling centres open?

Yes, under alert level 2 we are able to reopen all rural recycling centres.


What about Transfer Stations?

Both the Feilding Transfer Station and the Southern Transfer Station (Rongotea) are open and operating normal hours.


Support Services

I’m feeling stressed, who can I talk to?

If over the following days and weeks you feel you are not coping, it’s important to seek help and professional support. Your family doctor is a good starting point.

For support with grief, anxiety, distress or mental wellbeing, you can also call or text the 'Need to talk?' service on 1737. This service is free, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and gives you the chance to talk it through with a trained counsellor.


Transport and Travel

Can I travel nationally?

It is now acceptable to travel anywhere in New Zealand, but make sure you are doing it in a safe way. Keep a good physical distance from people you do not know, and try and keep a record of the places you visit while you are away from home.


Do international arrivals have to self-isolate at alert level 2?

Yes, anyone entering New Zealand is still required to undertake 14 days of managed isolation at their point of arrival (Auckland or Christchurch).


Can I use public transport?

Yes, public transport is now available to everyone to use, but please be safe. Avoid sitting directly next to someone you do not know, and follow any on-board guidance you are given.