Funeral directors are inspected annually to ensure they comply with the Health (Burial) Regulations 1946. The basic requirements for funeral directors are:
- Mortuary surfaces are required to be continuously smooth, impervious to water, readily cleanable and lightly coloured.
- Floors must be coved to the walls, graded and drained to the sewer.
- Lighting and ventilation must be adequate.
- Mortuary tables must also be graded and drained.
- There must be hot and cold running water and a wash hand basin must be convenient to the area and separate from other sinks.
- Cleaning practices, personal hygiene, pest control, building maintenance and safe chemical storage must be managed effectively.
Registration is renewable each year and an annual fee applies.
Applying for Registration of a Funeral Directors Premises
If you are interested in opening funeral directors premises you will also need to contact our Planning and Building Control Officers to discuss the specific requirements for this activity.
The The Health (Burial) Regulations 1946 gives a full explanation of the Standards for Mortuaries and Funeral Homes. This can be downloaded from the New Zealand Legislation Website.