alt text here banner image

Enrolling To Vote

You can enrol, or update your details, here: Vote NZ website

You can easily enrol to vote, check your details are correct or update your details in a way that suits you.

An enrolment form can be easily downloaded online, or sent to your address.

Download an enrolment form (70KB pdf)

You can request an enrolment form:

Online: Visit today to enrol, check or update your details.

Call: 0800 36 76 56

Text: Free-text your name and address to 3676

Please note: to enrol, change or update your details you must have access to one of the following:

  • New Zealand Drivers Licence
  • New Zealand Passport
  • RealMe Verified Identity

If you do not have one of the above identification documents, you can still enrol without ID. Find out how a or call 0800 36 76 56.

Ways to return your enrolment form

You can upload, email or post your completed enrolment form straight to the Electoral Commission/ Te Kaitiaki Take Kōwhiri.

Upload your completed form

Email your form to

Post your form to:

Electoral Commission
PO BOX 190
Wellington 6140

Who can vote?

By law, you must enrol as a voter if you are qualified to do so. And you must be enrolled in order to vote in New Zealand Parliamentary or local Council elections.

You are qualified to enrol if:

  • you are 18 years of age or older, and
  • you are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and
  • you have lived in New Zealand for one year or more without leaving the country.

You cannot enrol if:

  • you are a New Zealand citizen who has not been in New Zealand at all within the last three years, or
  • you are a permanent resident of New Zealand who has not been in New Zealand at all within the last 12 months

There are other grounds for disqualification that affect a very small number of people. Registrars of Electors are notified of people covered by any such ground. A Registrar of Electors would contact any such person trying to enrol who appeared to be subject to disqualification, to discuss his/her qualification to enrol. However, if you have any questions or concerns about other grounds for disqualification, call 0800 ENROL NOW (0800 36 76 56).

Local Council Roll

When you enrol as a Parliamentary elector you are automatically enrolled on your local council roll. This means you can vote in local elections such as city or regional council elections, by-elections, polls etc.

You do not need to own your home to enrol and vote in local council elections.

Local council elections are held once every three years. The next elections will take place on 8 October 2022.

The electoral rolls are updated before the elections take place.

Ratepayer Roll

The Ratepayer Roll is a list of people who own property within a local council area but who usually live outside this. Electors who are on the Ratepayer Roll are then able to vote in the local council area in which they usually live (and are enrolled to vote in) and for the local council area where they are registered on the Ratepayer Roll.

Eligible electors who own property in a local council area they don't usually live in, need to apply to go on the Ratepayer Roll if they are interested in voting in this area.

To go on the Ratepayer Roll, you need to apply to the Electoral Officer for the local council area in which you own property but do not usually live.

Complete, sign and return the ratepayer elector enrolment form to the Electoral Officer, using the details provided on the form:

Ratepayer Elector Enrolment Form | Online Editable (PDF file, 161.5 KB)

Ratepayer Elector Enrolment Form | Printable (PDF file, 155.7 KB)

The Ratepayer Electoral Roll closes on 12 August 2022. Enrol before this date to ensure you receive your voting forms in the post.  If you enrol after this date, you will need to do a special vote.