Enrolling To Vote

This page details information about enrolling to vote in Council and New Zealand Parliamentary elections.


You can enrol, or update your details, here: Vote NZ website

By law, you must enrol as a voter if you are qualified to do so. And you must be enrolled in order to vote in New Zealand Parliamentary or local Council elections.

You are qualified to enrol if:

  • you are 18 years of age or older, and
  • you are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and
  • you have lived in New Zealand for one year or more without leaving the country.

You cannot enrol if:

  • you are a New Zealand citizen who has not been in New Zealand at all within the last three years, or
  • you are a permanent resident of New Zealand who has not been in New Zealand at all within the last 12 months

There are other grounds for disqualification that affect a very small number of people. Registrars of Electors are notified of people covered by any such ground. A Registrar of Electors would contact any such person trying to enrol who appeared to be subject to disqualification, to discuss his/her qualification to enrol. However, if you have any questions or concerns about other grounds for disqualification, call 0800 ENROL NOW (0800 36 76 56).

Local Council Roll

When you enrol as a Parliamentary elector you are automatically enrolled on your local council roll. This means you can vote in local elections such as city or regional council elections, by-elections, polls etc.

You do not need to own your home to enrol and vote in local council elections.

Local council elections are held once every three years. The next elections will take place on 8 October 2022.

The electoral rolls are updated before the elections take place.

Ratepayer Roll

The Ratepayer Roll is a list of people who own property within a local council area but who usually live outside this. Electors who are on the Ratepayer Roll are then able to vote in the local council area in which they usually live (and are enrolled to vote in) and for the local council area where they are registered on the Ratepayer Roll.

Eligible electors who own property in a local council area they don't usually live in, need to apply to go on the Ratepayer Roll if they are interested in voting in this area.

To go on the Ratepayer Roll, you need to apply to the Electoral Officer for the local council area in which you own property but do not usually live. The Electoral Officer will send you out a form to complete, sign and return so they can check your eligibility.

Information about applying to go on the Ratepayer Roll will be sent out with Rate demands on 1 May 2022.

The Ratepayer Electoral Roll closes on 16 August 2022.