Proposed Plan Change 65
Council is proposing a plan change to protect Manawatū’s Outstanding Natural Features and Landscapes (ONFLs) and Significant Amenity Features (SAFs) from inappropriate subdivision, use, and development.
What’s being proposed?
Proposed PC65 recommends a number of amendments to the Manawatū District Plan:
- Recognition and protection of 2 Natural Landscapes, 13 Natural Features and 3 Significant Amenity Features.
- A new Natural Features and Landscapes Chapter, including appendices outlining the spatial extent and values and characteristics of each area. The new chapter aims to protect ONFLs and manage SAFs by:
- Allowing planting and restoration of areas, pest and weed control, fencing, indigenous vegetation clearance for specific purposes, maintaining existing lawfully established structures and walkways, buildings under 50m2 at Totara Reserve, and the continuation of stock grazing within the Rangitikei River Outstanding Natural Feature and Significant Amenity Features.
- Enabling development consistent with the Reserve Act or relevant Management Plan is a Restricted Discretionary Activity. This recognises that some areas, such as the Totara Reserve, have planned development that maybe consistent with the value and use of the area.
- Making subdivision, buildings, stock grazing, horticulture and cropping in Outstanding Natural Features a Discretionary Activity.
- Making subdivision, buildings, stock grazing, horticulture and cropping, new plantation forestry in Outstanding Natural Landscapes and activities not otherwise provided for a Non-Complying Activity.
Why are we protecting these areas?
Outstanding Natural Features and Landscapes have a special status under NZ’s planning law (RMA s6). As part of the Manawatū District Plan Review we are required to identify and protect these areas.
Where do I find the Plan Change documents?
The full Plan Change 65 provisions and section 32 report can be found below:
Section 32 Report - PDF file (962.8 KB)
Appendix 1 - New Natural Features & Landscapes Chapter - PDF file (213.6 KB)
Appendix 1 APP1 - Outstanding Natural Features & Landscapes - PDF file (1.7 MB)
Appendix 1 APP2 - Significant Amenity Features - PDF file (450.2 KB)
Appendix 2 - Amended Chapter 3A Network Utilities and 3D Earthworks - PDF file (385.6 KB)
Appendix 3 - Planning Maps - PDF file (12.7 MB)
Appendix 4 - Consequential Changes - PDF file (368.7 KB)
Appendix 5 - Manawatu District Landscape Assessment - PDF file (29.5 MB)
Appendix 6 - Consultation Record - PDF file (170.6 KB)
Appendix 7 - Iwi Consultation Record - PDF file (302.3 KB)