Food Safety Complaints

If you have a concern about a food product or a food business you can make a complaint, or seek advice from the Ministry of Primary Industries.

We welcome complaints from the public as they help us better understand your concerns as well as raise awareness with the food industry about their responsibilities to consumers.

Foodborne illness - or food poisoning - is the name for illness caused by eating or drinking contaminated food or drink. Most is caused by harmful bacteria getting into food.

If you, your family or friends feel unwell, seek medical attention from a doctor (your GP). If you suspect the cause of an illness is connected with food that has been purchased and eaten you should first report this to a health protection officer at your District Health Board's Public Health Unit.