Early discussions with us will help you make informed decisions about your project and avoid unnecessary processing delays if you are required to apply for a consent, permit or license. Pre-application meetings are recommended, especially for large or complex projects. You can request a pre-application meeting by filling in the form below.
If you would like to talk about the possibility of subdividing your property, this does not need a pre-application meeting - the duty planner is available 9am-4pm, Monday - Friday for these queries.
Benefits of pre-application meetings
Pre-application meetings are available for projects requiring building consents, resource consents, health licenses or special technical advice from Councils infrastructure team. The meetings can help you:
- Confirm if you need any consents, permits or licenses
- Understand the process of applying for a consent, permit or license
- Understand the costs of the process, and related charges such as development contributions
- Get guidance about what professionals you should be talking to and what expertise you may need to help you
- Find sources of information to help you prepare your application
- Identify what to focus on when assembling information to support your application
- Develop relationships and rapport with Council staff
- Lodge an application that will be processed efficiently and without delay.
- Understand using, developing or subdividing land, industrial trade processes or contaminated land
- Understand the needs of a large construction project or new commercial premises.
What will happen at the meeting?
At the meeting, you can discuss:
- Initial concepts
- Detailed design aspects
- Specialist technical requirements
- Any other requirements.
Council officers will give professional guidance on Council processes that relate to your proposal.
We encourage you to provide any existing technical drawings, concept plans or project information before the meeting, so that our officers can research potential issues for discussion.
Please note, however, the meeting will not pre-empt the outcome of the building or resource consent process, or provide any commitment about your application. Once lodged, the application will still need to be assessed against the requirements of the legislation or bylaws.
After the meeting we will send you a written record of the matters we discussed at the meeting and the advice we provided.