Code Compliance Certificates

A code compliance certificate (CCC) is a formal statement issued under section 95 of the Building Act 2004, advising that building work carried out under a building consent complies with that building consent. Building owners must apply for a code compliance certificate as soon as possible after building work is complete, and preferably within two years from the date the building consent was granted.

If you applied for your building consent from 1 August 2017 onwards, please apply for a code compliance certificate online.

Apply online

If you applied for your building consent prior to 1 August 2017, please apply using the form below.

The Building Act requires Council to decide whether to issue or refuse to issue the code compliance certificate within 20 working days, following either:

  • the application for a code compliance certificate
  • or expiration of the two year or agreed period since the date the building consent was granted (if no application has been made).

As a minimum, the documents listed below must be included in your CCC application. Depending on the type of application, additional documents might be required or requested while Council processes your application.

  • Proof of ownership
  • Certificates issued by licensed building practitioners that state what restricted building work they carried out or supervised.
  • Certificates relating to any gas fitting or prescribed electrical work (energy work) that has been carried out

If further information is required to enable Council to make a decision whether to issue or to refuse to issue the CCC, you will receive a request for further information. When a request for further information is sent, the 20 working day “clock” is stopped and the application is suspended until the requested information is provided. The “clock” is restarted when all of the required information has been received.

A CCC is only issued when Council is satisfied on reasonable grounds that your building work is completed and complies with the building consent, your final inspection has been passed, any specified systems for the building are capable of performing, and your code compliance certificate application and required documentation have been received and accepted. Fees and charges, including any development contributions are payable prior to the issue of the CCC.

Fees and charges are payable either online (bank transfer) or in person (at Manawatu District Council, Customer Service 135 Manchester Street, Feilding). If the project includes restricted building work you’ll need to provide a record of building work for all the trade licensed building practitioners.