Funeral directors are inspected annually to ensure they comply with the Health (Burial) Regulations 1946. The basic requirements for funeral directors are:
- Mortuary surfaces are required to be continuously smooth, impervious to water, readily cleanable and lightly coloured.
- Floors must be coved to the walls, graded and drained to the sewer.
- Lighting and ventilation must be adequate.
- Mortuary tables must also be graded and drained.
- There must be hot and cold running water and a wash hand basin must be convenient to the area and separate from other sinks.
- Cleaning practices, personal hygiene, pest control, building maintenance and safe chemical storage must be managed effectively.
Registration is renewable each year and an annual fee applies.